Thanks to Hollywood movies, most of us have a false idea of what drowning looks like…
We are at the mid-point of summer; pools are the place to be, vacations are being planned — if you are going to be anywhere around the water, make sure to read this!
We all know that drownings can happen in seconds. Swimming lessons and pool fences are vital, but we also know that nothing beats adult supervision. However, even if you have your eyes on the kids, you may be watching for all the wrong things….
The “drowning” you’ve seen on the big screen is a movie myth. People sometimes yell, wave, and splash when they’re struggling in the water. But when someone’s truly about to drown, it looks completely different. It’s frightening how quiet it can be.
When a person’s really drowning, their body doesn’t want to waste energy screaming and splashing… instinct makes their arms stay down; they may look like they’re climbing a ladder or pawing at the water. They stay upright, eyes glassy with their head back so that their mouth can grasp at the air when it surfaces.
The scary fact is that you typically have 20 to 60 seconds to help them. That’s all.
Watch THIS VIDEO to see what it really looks like.
Keep your eyes on the kids this summer and remember that it’s the quiet, not the yelling, that you should be worried about!
Facebook and Instagram are going to go bezerk with the new monokini in town — Tha Tata Top…
It’s not surprising that this new top, which makes it look like you are topless, has become the unofficial symbol for the #freethenipple campaign — a campaign that is taking momentum right now attacking the prudishness of social media (both facebook and instagram instantly flag and delete any photo they feel too revealing)…
It seems to have started as a joke, but with the various colours and the fact that 5$ from each sale goes to breast cancer research, people are actually buying this!
Would you wear this?!
CRAVINGS… they are either salty or sweet and sometimes they are both! This might just be THE BEST cure for any cravings — a salted chocolate tart with a crust made out of potato chips!! WHAT?? YA! I KNOW!! ;)
Thank you People.com for this amazing recipe!!
Salted Chocolate Tart with Potato-Chip Crust
Serves 6 to 8
9 oz. potato chips (sea-salt flavor works well)
5 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 ¼ cup heavy cream
10 oz. semisweet chocolate chips
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
⅛ tsp. salt
8 oz. bittersweet chocolate chips
sea salt, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In a food processor, pulse the potato chips until they are finely ground. Add the melted butter and flour and pulse for 30 seconds to combine.
3. Press the potato chip crust into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch tart pan.
4. Transfer to the pre-heated oven and bake for 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
5. Combine ¼ cup heavy cream and the semisweet chocolate chips in a medium pot over medium heat and warm the cream until the chocolate starts to melt. Whisk the two ingredients together until completely smooth. Add the eggs, vanilla and salt and continue to whisk until smooth.
6. Pour the chocolate filling mixture into the cooled tart shell and place it back into the oven and bake for 22 to 25 minutes, until top is set. Remove it from the oven and let cool for 30 minutes.
7. Heat 1 cup of heavy cream in a small saucepan and add the bittersweet chocolate chips. Whisk together over medium heat until the mixture is smooth and all the chocolate has melted.
8. Pour this mixture over the middle of the chocolate tart and use an offset spatula to spread it around evenly.
9. Let the entire tart chill overnight in the refrigerator.
10. Dust with sea salt before slicing and serving.
11. EAT AND ENJOY!!! (I added that step!)
I am not a parent but I do know that it is all about being the best mom or dad you can be to your kids. Sometimes it’s simple… sometimes it’s a series of curve balls that challenge you in a crazy way! This video made me realise that no matter what, it all doesn’t really matter — because there’s no simple, straightforward manual for raising kids!!
No wonder this video got over 4 million views!! What a PERFECT example of parents who know how to LOVE UNCONDITIONALLY.
These parents are doing it right. Don’t you think?
Why sip your cocktail, when you can lick it! On a hot summer day — or on a hot summer date ;) — why not enjoy this yummy dessert: BAILEYS POPTAILS!!
I will say though, that after looking at the ingredients, I would add more Baileys to the mix ;)
You will need:
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 1/2 cups 2% Milk
- 3 tablespoons Instant Coffee
- 2 tablespoons Whole Cane Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure Vanilla Extract
- pinch of Sea Salt
- 2 ounces Baileys Irish Cream
- Bring all ingredients (excluding Baileys) to a simmer in a saucepan. Stir, and remove from heat when well combined. Transfer to a container & place in the fridge for about 1 hour or until cool. Remove from fridge & mix in the Baileys Irish Cream. Pour poptail mixture into pop molds. Add the stick. Freeze overnight.
- Here are the Star Pop Molds I used in the pictures.
I love this story! I saw this story on a friend’s facebook page and just had to share!
Once a group of 500 people were attending a seminar. Suddenly the speaker stopped and decided to do a group activity. He started giving each person a balloon. Each person was then asked to write their name on it using a marker pen. Then all the balloons were collected and put in another room.
The people were then let into that room and asked to find the balloon which had their name written on it within 5 minutes. Everyone was frantically searching for their name,colliding with each other, pushing around others and there was utter chaos.
At the end of 5 minutes no one could find their own balloon.
Then, the speaker asked each person to randomly collect a balloon and give it to the person whose name was written on it. Within minutes everyone had their own balloon.
The speaker then began, “This is happening in our lives. Everyone is frantically looking for happiness all around, not knowing where it is.
Our happiness lies in the happiness of other people. Give them their happiness; you will get your own happiness. And this is the purpose of human life…the pursuit of happiness.”
Don’t you just love it?!
I just love the power of the internet! Three random guys became instant “stars” last night on Jimmy Kimmel just for having been at the right place, at the right time and with the right positively awesome desire to sing!!
This guy was performing outside of a supermarket in Texas when someone liked him enough to want to film him… moments later, a random guy decided to join in and turned the solo performance into an impromptu jam session! It did not end there though… a third random guy joins in with rap! Priceless!
The video of it went viral in just a few days, so Jimmy Kimmel decided to do this:
Pretty sweet to have Jimmy, Guillermo, Dicky, Cleto and the Cletones, a gospel choir, and surprise guests Trey Songz, Juicy J and Aloe Blacc help out! Dream come true right there for 3 random guys!!